Monday, September 3, 2007

Returning from Chicago with a broken zipper

I was tired when I returned from Chicago on Saturday night. Tired from networking and connecting with other archivists for the previous three and a half days, tired from lugging my overstuffed suitcase and backpack around O'Hare before my 5:15 flight. My backpack was filled with my computer, magazines, books, cameras, and all that stuff you just don't want to risk in your suitcase.

As I sat in the airport shuttle, I noticed the non-broken zipper of the two zippers on the larger section of my backpack was not staying closed...the tracks were splitting...was the backpack that I had raved about on its way to an untimely demise??? Upon going through security, it received special attention from the TSA folks. All of its contents were strewn on the metal tables, as I watched TSA agents run some sort of swab over it, and then run it again through the screening machine. As I clutched my laptop, I felt powerless...and then I felt annoyed...and then I realized that in the US, bag owners are not allowed to touch their bags or contents during extra screening tests. I half-smiled since any TSA worker who singles me out, has to meticulously repack my always overstuffed backpack. If you're going to pick me out, you're going to work! This is a lesson a screener learned the hard way in Dublin, when my suitcase was pulled out randomly for extra screening as I stood in the check-in line, and in her frustration, she appealed to me with a look of desperation as if saying, how did you get all this in your bag! I stood back then, reluctant to touch my stuff as you can't go near your bag in the US. That didn't appear to be the norm in Ireland.

After clearing security, swishing from left to right on my back as I chased three gate changes at O'Hare, and resting in the overhead compartment on the plane back to Boston, my bag stayed closed until arriving at baggage claim...when it split open on my back. I quickly zipped it closed, but noticed the ends of the zipper track again fraying open. A trip to Freeport is now on my docket...to get it functioning as soon as possible. So, the green backpack is temporarily out of commission, but its purple non-monogrammed twin will fill in just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment