Monday, February 16, 2009

a month ago today...

Amsterdam...sunset. Just a month ago. This was taken at the end of day spent riding trams, subway cars, and commuter rail tains as we crammed as much as we could into our last full day in the Netherlands.

  • The morning was spent finding the one souvenir I wanted from Amsterdam: an Ajax sweatshirt. Marco van Basten was my fave footballer growing up. Well, maybe the only player I followed. I had a Diadora poster in my room, and he was one of six European players on it...and the only name I ever remembered. He played for the Ajax in the 80s and then AC Milan later, and now is the coach of the Ajax. We visited the Amsterdam ArenA, via subway on the outskirts of the city, and I found a hoodie in the Fanshop. AND when we went outside, the team was practicing, and I got to see MVB from way, far away, but still it was a sighting. Jesse has much better pictures than me.

  • In the afternoon, we traveled to Haarlem via commuter rail train (20 mins. or so), just to get out of the city. If I'm spending a vacation in one city, I love to just get out of its confines, even if it's just for an hour (like our jaunt to Haarlem). We got off the train, walked to the Grote Markt, home to St. Bevo Cathedral, and the largest pipe organ in Europe (played by Handel and Mozart); and literally turned around and went back to Amsterdam. We took the 3 pm train to Haarlem, and we were back in Amsterdam by 4:15.

We finished off the day with Dutch pancakes (or pannekoeks), and Heineken and Genever at our favorite bar across from our hotel...

Despite the outstanding, savory pancakes I had for dinner, the Belgian fries from the Manneken Pis Belgian fry stand on the Damrak was the best food I had that day. Piping hot and covered with mayo...my mouth is watering just remembering....Best fries in Amsterdam...we stopped twice.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment